Volunteers for Vets will be held on Tuesday May 10, 2016 at the Suffolk County Bar Association 560 Wheeler Rd, Hauppauge from 1:00 to 4:00 P.M. The Suffolk Pro Bono Project, the Suffolk County Bar Association and the Suffolk Pro Bono Foundation are sponsoring the event for Suffolk veterans and their dependent family members. Pro Bono attorneys will be available to discuss various issues such as: Foreclosure, eviction, debt and bankruptcy, health care, benefits, family law, criminal matters, traffic tickets, warrant recalls, and VA benefits. Please note that this will be a short, confidential meeting giving veterans and their dependent family members the opportunity to discuss their legal issue with a pro bono attorney. If ongoing representation or assistance is necessary, an appropriate referral will be facilitated. Registration is required in advance by calling 631 234-5511 so that we can be sure to accommodate those in need of legal assistance. Help Us Spread the Word.
New Informational Brochures Published by Law Services:
Thanks to the We Care Fund of the Nassau County Bar Association for continuing its support to our Volunteer Lawyers Project, Attorney of the Day. Thanks to funding such as this, our staff and pro bono attorneys collaborate to provide free legal assistance to low income tenants in eviction matters.
The New York Bar Foundation recently awarded NSLS a grant to support our PLAN Project in 2016. PLAN provides critical legal assistance to persons affected by cancer. Thank you to the Foundation for your valued support!
Congratulations to Jeff Seigel , Executive Director who was recently recognized by Hofstra Law School’s Public Justice Foundation (PJF) as the 2016 PJF Outstanding Alumnus for his extraordinary commitment and dedication to public service. The Foundation sponsored its 27th annual Auction on March 9, 2016 to raise funds enabling student fellowships in public service. In accepting the award, Jeff describe his own experience as a Hofstra law student who was sponsored by the law school in 1978 to participate in an internship at Nassau Suffolk Law Services during its early beginnings. He pointed out that it was this fateful experience that changed his life and he has since devoted himself almost exclusively to public interest law for most of his career. His short speech was well received by a roomful of students, alumni, and Law Services staff and reporters. Congrats again!
Congratulations to Francine Moss and Veronica Renta Irwin for recently being selected as Pro Bono Attorneys of the Month!
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
What to Bring to Your Local VITA Site
• Proof of identification (photo ID)
• Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
• An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
• Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
• Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
• Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
• To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
• Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
• Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
• Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
Our 2015 Fall Harvest was a huge success and we’d like to thank all our sponsors, supporters and contributors.
Please download a copy of our latest Law Services News